|Expansion||Elite Dangerous: Horizons|
|Landing Pad Size||Medium|
|Dimensions||68.1m x 58.5m x 19.9m|
|Hull Mass||400 t|
|Mass Lock Factor||13|
|Top Speed||235 m/s|
|Boost Speed||338 m/s|
|Unladen Jump Range||9.59 ly|
|Cargo Capacity||40 t|
|Fuel Capacity||16 t|
|Hardpoints||4x Utility Mounts|
3x Small Hardpoints
1x Medium Hardpoint
2x Large Hardpoints
|Internals||2x Size 2 Compartments|
1x Size 4 Compartment
1x Size 5 Compartment
1x Size 6 Compartment
3x Size 4 Military Compartment
|Maximum Non-Engineered Specs|
|Top Speed||267 m/s|
|Boost Speed||383 m/s|
|Unladen Jump Range||27.83 ly|
|Cargo Capacity||120 t|
The Alliance Chieftain is a medium-sized combat ship manufactured by Lakon Spaceways through a partnership with the Alliance. The Chieftain is more maneuverable than ships of similar size and weight, allowing it to hit targets hard while avoiding counterattacks. This was designed specifically to give the Chieftain an advantage against notoriously agile Thargoid vessels, such as the Thargoid Interceptor.
The Alliance Chieftain has been designed not only to dish out punishment, but to avoid it. Manufactured by Lakon Spaceways, the Chieftain is more manoeuvrable than ships of similar size and weight, and its combat profile means it can more than hold its own in a fight. The ship also boasts three internal military compartments, allowing the pilot to equip a shield cell bank, hull reinforcements and module reinforcements.
— In-Game Description
The Alliance Chieftain is intended to occupy a combat-oriented niche between the Python and the Federal Assault Ship. Its agility allows it to hit targets hard without overextending and having to bear the brunt of an enemy attack. Unlike other agile ships however it is not weak on hull or shields, able to take more punishment than the Python; which is likely to help it counter Thargoids. Another big advantage is the price tag, at only 19 million it is significantly cheaper than other heavy fighters and multipurpose ships like the Python, Federal Assault Ship, Federal Gunship, Imperial Clipper, and Fer-de-Lance, while boasting comparable stats. The ship also boasts three internal military compartments, allowing the pilot to equip a shield cell bank, hull reinforcements or module reinforcements.
Even better, the ship is quite multipurpose. It still has 120t of max cargo space, more than enough for grabbing loot from pirating or occasional deliveries and with 28LY of jump range it can easily get to its destinations fast. Since it has no required rank, it can actually be a viable trading vessel since it can carry more cargo than the Type-6 Transporter. Its also a very good Miner with its medium and small hardpoints, good mobility, small body and cargo space.
Against Thargoids, its intended matchup, the ship performs extremely well It is capable of equipping the maximum of 4 Anti-Xeno hardpoints and has enough utility and internal space for countermeasures, such as Decontamination Limpets. Finally, the mobility lets it handle Thargon Swarms easily as it can keep a Remote Release Flak Launcher on its target. It is capable of even soloing Thargoid Interceptors; in the right hands.
Overall the Chieftain is an extremely powerful ship. Its biggest strength is its low price, making it accessible early and also much cheaper to upgrade to full potential. It is extremely good in combat roles like Pirating, Bounty Hunting and Thargoid Hunting while retaining some multipurpose functionality.
The two large and single medium hardpoints are aligned along the ship's central axis, making them suitable for fixed weapons. All small and large hardpoints are also placed above the cockpit, with only the medium hardpoint underneath. Landing gear extends from beneath the front of the ship's hull and the two rear engine nacelles, which rotate.
The Alliance Chieftain is most commonly available in Alliance systems. Despite its name and affiliation, it requires no rank or reputation with the Alliance to purchase.
Purchase Locations Edit
|Shinrarta Dezhra||Jameson Memorial||Always available||10% discount|
|Brestla||i Sola Prospect||Always available||20% surcharge|
|Wolf 406||Hamilton Gateway||March 12, 2018|
|Chelmen||Emshwiller Hub||Sep. 23, 2018|
|Indaol||Archer Settlement||Feb. 27, 2018|
|CE Bootis||Moskowitz Gateway||Feb. 27, 2018|
|LP 128-32||Bulychev Hub||Feb. 27, 2018|
|CN Bootis||Sellings City||Feb. 27, 2018|
|Ross 490||Dunyach Enterprise||Feb. 27, 2018|
|Alioth||Golden Gate||Feb. 28, 2018|
|Alioth||Irkutsk||Feb. 28, 2018|
|Huokang||Steiner City||Feb. 28, 2018|
|G 139-21||Bixby Port||Feb. 28, 2018|
|STF 1774||Hill Hub||Feb. 28, 2018|
|Bragurom Du||Pellegrino Station||Mar. 2, 2018|
|LHS 2482||Bacigalupi Terminal||Mar. 8, 2018|
|Aleumoxii||Ferguson City||Mar. 8, 2018|
|Beta Comae Berienices||Gresley Port||Mar. 18, 2018|
|LP 377-78||Gespar de lemos Port||Jul. 17 2018|
|Meinjhalara||Fremont Port||Jul. 21 2018|
- Main article: Outfitting
All ships are highly customisable through the Outfitting menu of Station Services. Listed below is the default load-out for the Alliance Chieftain.
|Category||Default System||Default Rating||Default Class||Max Class|
|Medium Hardpoint||Pulse Laser (L)||F||1||2|
|Pulse Laser (L)||F||1||3|
|Reactor Bay||Power Plant||E||6||6|
|Frame Shift Drive Housing||Frame Shift Drive||E||5||5|
|Environment Control||Life Support||E||5||5|
|Power Coupling||Power Distributor||E||6||6|
|Fuel Store||Fuel Tank [x16]||C||4||4|
|Internal Compartments||Cargo Rack [x32]||E||5||6|
|Cargo Rack [x8]||E||3||4|
|Planetary Approach Suite (H)||I||1||1|
- (L) = Loaned Module
- [x#] = Capacity
- (H) = Requires Elite Dangerous: Horizons, reserved solely for Planetary Approach Suite
- (M) = Military Compartment reserved for Hull Reinforcement Package, Module Reinforcement Package, or Shield Cell Bank
- The Alliance Chieftain was released with the Chapter One (3.0) update of Elite Dangerous: Beyond on February 27, 2018.
- The Alliance Chieftain has an available 12 piece cosmetic ship kit that can be purchased from the Frontier store which allows you to "remodel your ship in your personal style". The ship kit does not affect gameplay.
- An upgraded variant of the Alliance Chieftain, the Alliance Challenger, is included with the Chapter Two (3.1) update of Elite Dangerous: Beyond.
- The concept art of the Alliance Chieftain bears an uncanny resemblance to The Hunter, an early scrapped fighter ship.
- The Chieftain is likely named after the FV4201 Chieftain, a British tank. Both the Alliance Challenger and Alliance Crusader continue the same naming convention.
- Early concept art reveals the Chieftain was called the Type X during development and had an identical cockpit to the Type-9 Heavy.
- ↑ Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One Beta Announcement
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Content Recap - Beyond Chapter One Livestream (18.01.2018) - Part 2 Recap
- ↑ GalNet: Lakon Releases Alliance Chieftain
- ↑ /r/EliteDangerous: Lavecon Panel: Beyond Q4 Sneak Peeks + Q&A ~ Quick Notes
- ↑ PC Gamer: From rough sketch to final model, here's how Frontier designs the ships of Elite Dangerous
|Ships marked with H can only be purchased & used by pilots who own Horizons.|
The Cobra MkIV is only available to pilots who preordered Horizons.
Ships by type
|Flight Operations Carrier||