When the AFM is powered other modules can be set to repair by toggling their state in the module list. Modules will cycle from On to Off and finally to Repair. The AFM will slowly repair module that are set to repair but will consume resources to do so as indicated in the module list. The AFM can be resupplied at starports and outposts from the munitions interface.
— In-Game Description
The Auto Field-Maintenance Unit (AFMU) is a module that can be used to repair other modules. The AFMU uses ammunition each time it repairs another module and places it offline during the repair. Any module that is equipped to the ship that can be toggled on and off can be repaired but the ship's hull itself can not be repaired.
Given its very slow rate of repair AFMU is generally considered to be ineffective to counter combat attrition, However, it can be of great use to explorers who find themselves taking unnecessary heat damage a lot, or if to repair heat damage from the use of Shield Cell banks.
Because the cost to repair a module at a Station, Starport, or Outpost is based on its purchase price, it is usually more cost effective to repair expensive modules with an AFMU than it is to repair cheaper modules, as the AMFU ammunition will cost more to replenish than the repair would cost for small, inexpensive modules. An example of this is that using an AFMU to repair a Multi-Million Credit module will generally cost less than repairing it in dock, while it will cost more to repair a several thousand credit module with an AFMU compared to repairing it at a port.
NOTE: The AFMU module can not repair the ship's power plant or itself. But equipping more than one AFMU module will allow them to repair each other
To use, go to your module list, and the repairable modules will now have a third state - Enabled (Solid square), Repair (Slash through empty square), and Disabled (Empty Square)
The module will be offline while in the repair state.
Spent ammunition must be replenished once used. Any station is equipped with a "Re-arm" service will be able to replenish ammunition. Once docked at the station, ammunition can be purchased from the Munitions menu in the Starport Services. Ammunition costs 100 CR per 100 units.
Ammunition can also be replenished via Synthesis, with higher tiers of ammo providing faster repair rate.
this table is out dated.
For a fresh table on how it works after 2.1 here is a spreadsheet G spreadsheet
|Class||Rating||Mass (T)||Integrity||Health||Power Draw|| AFM Repair|
Engineer Modifications Edit
The following modifications can be applied to this module by Engineers to enhance it's abilities:
- It is possible to equip two of these modules and have them repair each other or to increase the repair speed of another module.
- Due to the targeted module needing to be offline whilst being repaired, the AFMU cannot repair itself.
- Prior to Version 1.1 the AMFU was unable to repair thrusters.
- A ship power plant cannot be repaired by an AFMU, as the power plant cannot be toggled offline.
- An unbreached cockpit canopy can be repaired despite being unable to toggle it offline.
- Care should be taken when repairing life support, as repaired units are offline whilst under repair and remain offline afterward, needing to be manually re-enabled.
- Trying to repair thrusters while at supercruise will cause the ship to drop to normal space and take damage.