The Camera Suite is a fully functional third-person camera suite. It lets players take sophisticated screenshots, make cinematic videos and fly ships in third person. It succeeds the old Debug Camera and is part of update 2.3 The Commanders. In the revamped version you can move around much quicker and further away from your ship. There's a UI legend of shortcuts which can be hidden, and it features a zoom slider. You can lock the camera to your ship and are able to control the ship in a third-person perspective. The camera can ignore rotation so it has the same orientation.
- Focal distance and blur around the target can be enabled.
- The camera can be placed inside a ship's cockpit and player characters inside will react naturally.
- Free motion around the ship while anchoring relative to the ship or nearby objects.
- Fly a ship in third person. The ship can be controlled while in the camera view, with all flight controls available including deploying and firing hardpoints, boosting, steering etc.
- Zoom slider options
- The camera can ignore rotation to keep the same orientation.
- User Interface with shortcuts which can be hidden
- Move the camera far away from the ship
- Anything that can be bound to the keyboard is available in the third person camera.
- Additional camera views include an “inside the cockpit” view of the Helm or Gunner positions
- A third-person view from the rear of the cockpit looking forward
- Fixed camera positions above and below the ship
Ship controls are limited when using the third person camera, because there's no access to the HUD or other important information. So third person as a combat option remains more difficult than first person.
According to the lore it's a micro camera that orbits the ship.
- ↑ https://imperium.news/elite-dangerous-2-3-livestream-recap-commander-creator-camera-suite/
- ↑ Elite Dangerous LIVE from PAX East part 2!
It's possible to make machinima with the camera suite. Here are some examples: