To view or send ship-to-ship text messages the Comms Panel first needs to be selected (use focus mode or press the Comms hotkey - 'C' by default). You can use standard interface controls to navigate the Comms Panel, cycling through five tabs:
This tab is marked with a speech bubble icon. Here you can view incoming text comms and send text comms.
- Untargeted (local) comms will be broadcast to *all* nearby ships.
- Use [TAB] to cycle through valid message recipients.
To submit a command, type it and submit it (press [Enter]).
- /help brings up a list of all commands.
- /clear to clear the chat log.
- /d (or /direct, or /to) then a player's Commander name then your message to send a direct message.
To select an outgoing message channel, type it and press space. If that channel is valid in your current context, the command will disappear from your chat bar immediately. If not, it will remain and give you an error message when you submit it.
- /r (or /reply) to respond to the last ship that you received comms from.
- /t (or /target) to send comms directly to targeted ship.
- /w (or /wing) to send comms to all members of your wing.
- /v (or /voice) to send comms to players you are in voice comms with.
- /l (or /local) to send comms to all ships within range.
Comms text is colour coded:
- Orange: local broadcast.
- Cyan: wing broadcast.
- Yellow: direct message.
- Red: authority broadcast.
This tab is marked with a people icon. Here you can view and interact with contacts. Highlight and select a contact to summon comms and wings options.
This tab is marked with an envelope icon. Here you can view and interact with friend or wing requests and invitations and messages. Highlight accept/decline icons to accept or decline a wing invitation.
This tab is marked with a gear icon. Here you can view and alter text and voice settings. Highlight and select options to toggle them.
You can turn on or off each text chat channel (Local, Voice, Wing, Direct messages from players), and toggle whether to automatically enable voice comms with your wing.