Distant Worlds II (DW2), also known as Distant Worlds 3305, is the sequel to the Distant Worlds Expedition, which was the first major community expedition in Elite Dangerous history. Distant Worlds II was announced on October 10, 3303, and launched from the Pallaeni system on January 13, 3305.
Announcement and Early Planning Edit
On October 10, 3303, CMDR Erimus made an early announcement for the sequel to the Distant Worlds Expedition. Coming in the wake of the reveal of Elite Dangerous: Beyond at Frontier Expo 2017, it was determined that Distant Worlds II would launch in Q4 3304/Q1 3305, after the release of Beyond's exploration-focused Chapter 4 update.
The stated goals of the expedition are:
- We want to create an event that challenges its participants, like DWE 3302 did.
- We want to create interesting basecamp meetups and events, that include all what the first expedition had, and more - specifically utilising whatever new discovery mechanics the new content requires.
- We would like to reach the same scale as last time or beat it, and then take advantage of our large contingent in the hopes the expedition might discover some of the new and mysterious things FD have hinted at!
- We have plans to bring back the Distant Worlds weekly newsletter that proved so popular last time around, and eventually have it again bound into a book as a memento.
- Naturally DWE2 plan to work in conjunction with the Galactic Mapping Project to discover, catalogue, and name new POIs, spatial anomalies, and geological features.
- The expedition will encourage and facilitate all the emergent gameplay that explorers are renowned for into joining and helping organise and oversee certain aspects of this mammoth endeavour; Fuel Rats, Rock Rats, MediCorp, The Repair & Tour Group, The Galactic Travel Agency, Surveyors, Galactic Mappers, Scouts, and even squadrons that will hopefully be able to utilise the new fleet carriers.
- We will put together an experienced organisation team to help create a memorable event.
Expedition Proposal Edit
On January 14, 3304, on the second anniversary of the launch of the Distant Worlds Expedition, the expedition outline was posted by Erimus. The proposal included a Community Goal idea that would be run in conjunction with the main expedition, which if implemented, would incorporate prospecting and mining into the expedition. Early plans also suggested Community Goals to construct a Starport in Sagittarius A* and a Surface Port in Beagle Point; while the former goal was mostly preserved for Waypoint 7 of the finalized proposal, the latter goal was cancelled.
- 2,000 registrants - February 22, 3304
- 3,000 registrants - August 6, 3304
- 4,000 registrants - December 11, 3304
- 5,000 registrants - December 31, 3304
- 6,000 registrants - January 4, 3305
- 7,000 registrants - January 6, 3305
- 8,000 registrants - January 8, 3305
- 9,000 registrants - January 10, 3305
- 10,000 registrants - January 12, 3305
- 11,000 registrants - January 13, 3305
- 12,000 registrants - January 15, 3305
- 13,000 registrants - January 18, 3305
Registrations for DW2 closed at 18:00 UTC on January 18, 3305, at which point the main roster was locked and existing registrants could longer make or request any further changes to their registrations. A secondary "latecomers" roster opened until February 17, 3305, but it was not administrated or publicly displayed. The secondary roster will later be merged with the main roster to create a finalized roster that will be archived and presented.
Preliminary Route Edit
The preliminary expedition route outlined on February 1, 3304 proposed that Distant Worlds II would travel through both Sagittarius A* and Beagle Point on the "Outbound" stage, while "The Voyage Home" stage would trace the journey of the USS Voyager. The journey would cover over 200,000 ly and was estimated to take 304 days to complete.
Waypoint Scouting Event Edit
On April 1st, 3304, CMDR Erimus posted a call for explorers currently on a deep space excursion to submit POIs or areas of interest that may be suitable to be used as Distant Worlds 2 waypoints and basecamps.
Out of all submissions, 15-20 will be incorporated into Distant Worlds.
Fleet Logistics: Call for Volunteers Edit
On April 16th, 3304, CMDR Olivia Vespera posted a call for volunteers in the bubble to help fleet logistics gather 10 of each available rare commodity in the game across all 3 gaming platforms. Members who answer the call are were asked to join the Fleet Logistics Discord and were given the role, Gatherer. The gathered rares would be stored in "warehouse" ships until they can be preloaded onto truckers.
Finalized Expedition Plan Edit
In early December 3304, Distant Worlds II organizers announced their finalized expedition plan. The expedition will depart from Waypoint 1 in the Core Systems on January 13, 3305 on the 18-week "Outbound" half of the journey to Beagle Point, which consists of four stages:
- Waypoints 1-5: Laying the foundations for Galactic Core scientific studies, revisiting mysteries of the past, and trailblazing the new age of discovery.
- Waypoints 6-9: Building the Galactic Core Starport and discovering secrets at the heart of the galaxy.
- Waypoints 10-12: Mapping the Aphelion.
- Waypoints 13-15: A journey across the Abyss... and beyond.
In addition to various community events and exploration opportunities along the full route, a Community Goal will take place at Waypoint 2, approximately 6,000 ly away from the Core Systems, and involve mining materials for the construction of a new Starport, which will be located in a system neighboring Sagittarius A*. At Waypoint 7, the Starport will be constructed and support a second Community Goal to upgrade its amenities for members of the expedition and future travelers. The expedition will remain in the galactic core region for two to three weeks before continuing onward to Waypoint 15 at Beagle Point.
The "Voyage Home" half of the expedition will begin sometime after the Distant Worlds II expedition reaches Beagle Point, and involve the return journey to the Core Systems via an indirect route. More details will be announced at a later date.
GalNet Report Edit
GalNet featured a report on Distant Worlds II on January 4, 3305:
Preparations are underway for the second Distant Worlds expedition, which will see a community of explorers cross the galaxy.
Science correspondent Leon Banerjee provided an overview for the Vox Galactica media outlet:
“The first Distant Worlds mission, in 3302, was the largest fleet expedition in history, and saw over a thousand ships travel to Beagle Point and back.”
“Distant Worlds II has even loftier ambitions, involving an impressive voyage through the heart of the galaxy, mapping unexplored regions and making new scientific discoveries. It will also involve the construction of a starport dedicated to the study of Sagittarius A*.”
“Project leaders Erimus Kamzel and Dr Kaii report that nearly four thousand courageous Commanders will take part, despite the risks involved, in a journey of over 200,000 light years.”Distant Worlds II is scheduled to launch in January 3305, with the complete round trip lasting approximately three hundred days.
The Expedition Edit
The Distant Worlds II expedition officially departed from the Distant Worlds Tourist Beacon in the Pallaeni system on January 13, 3305. Due to the number of participants, there were three separate launch events; participants could attend the launch event which was most convenient for them.
- January 13, 3305 at 20:00 UTC (Europe)
- January 14, 3305 at 01:00 UTC (USA)
- January 14, 3305 at 10:00 UTC (Australia)
One hour before launch, participants were also encouraged to meet up at the original Distant Worlds launch site outside the settlement Brooks Point on Pallaeni A 1, and then move to the Distant Worlds Tourist Beacon 30 minutes before launch.
Within moments of the first launch event, the high number of players simultaneously jumping from Pallaeni is believed to have been the cause of a brief but widespread server outage.
Stage 1 (WP 1-5) Edit
Shortly before launch, Waypoint 2's location was revealed to be on planet 7 B in the Omega Sector VE-Q b5-15 system. DW2 organizers also provided a list of optional points of interest to visit along the way to Waypoint 2:
- Shapley 1 (best viewed from Fine Ring Sector JH-V c2-4)
- HR 6164 (The View Tourist Beacon)
- Blu Thua GI-B b55-2 (ringed ELW "Cycladia")
- Traikaae CH-Y c10 ("Labirinto" on planet 1 A)
- Thor's Eye
- Herschel 36 (good view of the Lagoon Nebula)
- Traikaae KT-P d6-10 (Cinnabar Moth Nebula)
- PW2010 210 (The PW2010 Supercluster)
The first mining Community Goal of the expedition began in Omega Sector VE-Q b5-15 on January 17, 3305, at the Omega Mining Operation Asteroid Base. It was accompanied by the following GalNet reports:
The Omega Mining Corporation has requested deliveries of raw materials for a new Orbis starport, to be built in the heart of the galaxy.
The construction of the starport constitutes part of the ambitious Distant Worlds II expedition. Project leader Erimus Kamzel told the media:
“The Distant Worlds fleet is privileged to be at the forefront of this ambitious industrial and scientific initiative – humanity’s first starport in the Galactic Centre region.”
Independent miners are invited to deliver shipments of Indite, Gallite, Praseodymium and Cobalt to Omega Mining Operation in the Omega Sector VE-Q b5-15 system.
In order to protect traders, the Omega Mining Corporation has also placed kill orders on all ships on its wanted list.The initiative begins on the 17th of January 3305 and will run for one week. If the final target is met earlier than planned, the campaign will end immediately.
Expedition Waypoints Edit
The expedition gathered at the Distant Worlds Tourist Beacon orbiting the main star of the Pallaeni system before departing for Waypoint 2. Instead of announcing all waypoint locations simultaneously prior to the start of the expedition, Distant Worlds II organizers will only reveal each waypoint one at a time to encourage expedition members to stay together, focus on the expedition's Community Goals and other events, and thoroughly explore the areas surrounding the waypoints for interesting discoveries.
|1||1||Distant Worlds Tourist Beacon||Pallaeni||N/A||N/A||January 13, 3305|
|1||2||Roald Landing||Omega Sector VE-Q b5-15||7 B||34.283, 79.552||January 18, 3305|
|4||15||Beagle Point||May 10, 3305|
Fleet Roles Edit
|Explorer||The default role that anyone not selecting a specific role is automatically assigned. Explorers will make up the bulk of the fleet and are those that are not fussed on specialization. During the journey Explorers will discover interesting stellar, planetary, or environmental POIs (like planetary nebulae etc). The very best of these POIs will then be used by Tour Guides, the Galactic Mapping Team, and Fleet Astrophotographers to visit and catalogue during the expedition and waypoint visits.|
|Fuel Rat||Fuel Rats are welcome along on any deep space expedition and are invaluable. They're the last resort for players who get stranded out in the far depths of space.|
|Miner||For the first time ever, Prospecting and Mining will have a practical role to play on a deep space expeditionary event, with miners at the forefront of the industrial aspect of Distant Worlds 2.|
|Fleet Mechanic||Commanders who rig their ships to carry Hull Repair Limpets and are on hand to offer essential hull repairs to all fleet members who require their services.|
|Tour Guide||These pilots will work in conjunction with the Galactic Travel Agency and utilize Multi-Crew. The service will allow many more players to take part in DW2 as passengers and guests aboard Tour Guide operators ships. For RP purposes we encourage Tour Guides to register Belugas, Orcas, or Dolphin-class cruisers with the DW fleet.|
|Astrophotographer||This project will be overseen by Qohen Leth for the official Distant Worlds Imgur Album. Astrophotographers will be encouraged to submit their photos to the album, some of these submissions will be highlighted and written about in the DW2 weekly newsletter, there may even be prizes on offer for a 'pic of the week'.|
|Fighter Escort||Fighter Escort (Fleet Defence Force Squadrons) will be tasked to protect the fleet throughout the entirety of the journey to the far rim and back. More details on this role will become apparent during 3304.|
|Geologist||The prime focus for fleet Geologists is to seek out and catalogue active geological sites and interesting surface features for the Milky Way Society of Organics and Geology (overseen by CMDR MadRaptor - The Galactic Geologist), and the Galactic Mapping Project (overseen by the GMP Team).|
|Scientist||This role will involve charting and cataloging Notable Stellar Phenomena for the Galactic Mapping Project. Scientists will also directly contribute to The Scientific Surveyor Project, whose goal will be to collate a wealth of statistics on star systems, worlds, and asteroid fields (among other things), from which EfilOne will create statistical documents on what the DW2 fleet discovered by journey's end.|
|Media||This role will encompass Video Makers, Streamers, Mission Chroniclers and Blog-Writers who want to document their own journeys and share them with the community. Like on DW3302, some of the media content created during the expedition may be featured in the newsletters.|
|MediCorp||This is a semi-roleplayed role and is based upon the concept created by Wing Atlantis. The basic premise is for MediCorp pilots to collect stranded escape pods that are located during the expedition and store them aboard their ships until journeys end, whereupon they will be delivered to a stations search & rescue department.|
|Fleet Logistics||This is a roleplayed role and is based upon the concept created by Olivia Vespera. There are two aspects to this role. Supply and Trade. Supply will carry food equivalent to the amount required to support a fleet of this size for a 6 month journey into the black. Traders will carry various rare commodities for use in celebrations, or to trade with AI settlements we may encounter.|
Private Groups Edit
Like Distant Worlds, Distant Worlds 2 hosted several Private Groups for fleet members to fly safe and to host official meetups. Flying in the Private Group is not a requirement to be on the expedition.
|Private Group Name||Platform||Owner|
Distant Worlds 2 utilizes the Squadrons feature added by Elite Dangerous: Beyond Chapter Four (3.3). As Squadrons have a maximum capacity of 500 members, multiple Squadrons were created for the expedition. Joining an official DW2 Squadron is not mandatory, but applicants are required to first register on the official DW2 roster, and anyone found not to have registered is subject to immediate removal. Expedition Squadrons began accepting member applications on January 1, 3305.
|FleetComm [FCDW]||PC||Dr. Kaii||Full||Primary PC Squadron for DW2|
|Distant Worlds [DWII]||PC||Erimus||Full||1st Overflow PC Squadron for DW2|
|Distant Worlds 2 [DW2S]||PC||Kamzel||Open||2nd Overflow PC Squadron for DW2|
|EDSM [EDSM]||PC||Anthor||Open||3rd Overflow PC Squadron for DW2|
|FleetComm [FLCM]||Xbox One||EXC Xta80||Open|
|Distant Worlds 2 [DW02]||PlayStation 4||StormyUK||Open|
For the duration of Distant Worlds II, a Multicrew option called "Distant Worlds Expedition" is available. Players who are not actively participating in DW2 can experience the expedition remotely by selecting this option and temporarily joining the ship of a DW2 participant.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Distant Worlds II - Fleet Roster Sign Up Thread
- ↑ Distant Worlds 2 - A Journey of Discovery
- ↑ Frontier Forums: Distant Worlds II - Early Announcement
- ↑ Frontier Forums: [DW2 Distant Worlds II - Fleet Roster Sign Up Thread, Post #791]
- ↑ Frontier Forums: Distant Worlds II - Fleet Roster Sign Up Thread, Post #1147
- ↑ Frontier Forums: Distant Worlds II - Fleet Roster Sign Up Thread, Post #1726
- ↑ Frontier Forums: Distant Worlds II - Fleet Roster Sign Up Thread, Post #1864
- ↑ Frontier Forums: Distant Worlds II - Fleet Roster Sign Up Thread, Post #2168
- ↑ Kamzel, E (3304, April, 01). Distant Worlds II - Waypoint Scouting Event. [Online Forum Post]. Message posted to https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/419924
- ↑ Vespera, O. (3304, April, 16). Distant Worlds 2 Fleet Logistics: Looking for Volunteers! [Online Forum Post] Message Posted to https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/422797
- ↑ Frontier Forums: Distant Worlds 2 - A Journey of Discovery: EXPEDITION ROUTE, WAYPOINTS, MAPS, AND SCHEDULE
- ↑ Frontier Forums: [DW2 Community Goals]
- ↑ GalNet: Countdown to Second Distant Worlds Expedition
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Frontier Forums: Distant Worlds II - Fleet Roster Sign Up Thread, post #1978
- ↑ r/EliteDangerous: DW2 Crash Megathread
- ↑ GalNet: Distant Worlds Initiative
- ↑ r/EliteDangerous: PSA: There is now an option to join Distant World Expedition multicrew
External Links Edit
- Distant Worlds II Information Index
- Distant Worlds II: A Journey of Discovery
- Distant Worlds II Early Announcement
- Distant Worlds II Fleet Roster Sign-Up Thread
- Distant Worlds II Official Fleet Roster