Limpet Controllers are the controllers for drones. The drones can be launched from the ship to do various tasks depending on the type of limpet. The limpets are disposable, consumable items you have to replenish at a Starport under the Munitions section, or via Synthesis, and your maximum capacity is limited only by your cargo hold. All types of drones share the same disposable items; Limpets are programmed at time of launch, and so only a generic Limpet item needs to be carried - you don't need to worry about juggling the logistics of your various types of Limpets if you have multiple different Controllers installed.
Drone Types Edit
- Main article: Collector
Collection drones have two modes. The primary mode scoops the object or canister you're currently targeting. The secondary mode has an area effect, scooping everything it can before it expires. In the latter mode, Collector drones move more slowly, but can gather multiple items before expiring; otherwise, they self-destruct when the designated item has been retrieved.
- Main article: Decontamination
Decontamination limpets attach to a target ship's hull and remove any caustic residue left by Thargoid Interceptor missiles. At the same time, the drones also repair a portion of the target ship's hull, but are less effective at repair work than Repair drones.
Fuel Transfer Edit
- Main article: Fuel Transferer
Fuel Transfer limpets let a player send one ton of fuel to another ship, while in flight. Ships can carry additional fuel for their escort fighters and extend the effective range of their Wings.
Hatch Breaker Edit
- Main article: Hatch Breaker
Hatch Breaker limpets can be fired upon the targeted ship and upon contact break its Cargo hatch, thereby ejecting the target's cargo over time. It can be countered with Point Defence Turrets.
- Main article: Prospector
Prospector limpets scan asteroids, scouting for mineable materials they contain. They are very useful when seeking rare ores.
- Main article: Recon
- Main article: Repair
Repair limpets repair the targeted ship's hull.
- Main article: Research
Research drones attach to targeted Thargoid Interceptors and retrieve a research sample, such as a Thargoid Cyclops Tissue Sample, which is then stored as a commodity.
- Limpets are stored in the ship's cargo hold, unlike most other consumables. Each Limpet takes one "ton" of storage space.
- Limpets are consumed when first activated, and cannot be recovered even once their task(s) are completed. The following conditions will result in Limpet (self-)destruction;
- Task Completion. Limpets will self-destruct when their task has been successfully carried out.
- Life-time Expiration. Limpets will eventually self-destruct when the control timer (as listed in the Controller's specifications) reaches zero.
- Control Range. If the Mothership flies too far away from its Limpets, they will automatically self-destruct.
- Enemy Fire. Point Defence Turrets may fire upon Limpets, especially Hatch Breakers, and subsequently destroy them.
- Collision. Drones will not avoid most objects, meaning that they cannot approach a target if a direct path between them and said object is obstructed, and nearly any collision will result in their destruction.