Missile battery capable of launching [...] missiles.
— In-Game Description
The Missile Rack is currently the only way to launch missiles.
Like all other weapons missiles must be assigned to a fire group in order to shoot. There are two types of missiles: dumbfire and seeker. Dumbfire missiles will shoot similar to other fixed weapons - straight and towards the crosshair. Seeker missiles will continuously lock onto targets, but will only launch when given the order to fire and once launched will attempt to follow (and blow up) their target.
An alert sound will go off when a seeker missile has been fired at the player and can be seen on the radar. Outmaneuvering seeker missiles can be very tricky and boosting will not outrun a seeker missile. The Point Defence Turret and Electronic Countermeasure utility modules counter seeker missiles by shooting them down or causing them to lose lock.
As of patch 1.6 or 2.1 for Horizons owners, explosive damage against shields has been significantly buffed, making missiles significantly more useful despite their limited ammuntion. Certain special effects like overload munitions increase its damage against shields even further.
Spent ammunition must be replenished once used. Any station that is equipped with a "Re-arm" service will be able to replenish ammunition. Once docked at the station, ammunition can be purchased from the Munitions menu in the Starport Services. Missiles cost 500 CR per unit. In this case one missile is one unit. It will cost 12,000 CR to reload all 24 rounds in an empty missile rack. Seeker Missile Racks can only contain 18 Missiles total (6 in launcher, 12 reserve). They cost the exact same amount to reload (12,000 CR)
- Damage, DPS, and Thermal Load are all based upon the in-game display which is basically an "out of 10" scale thus the values for these sections should be assumed as approximations.
This weapon can be modified by Engineers to enhance it's abilities.
The following modifications can be applied to this module:
Possible Experimental Effects Edit
Modifying this module can sometimes result in any one of the following special effects also being applied:
- Drag Munitions
- Emissive Munitions
- FSD Interrupt
- Overload Munitions
- Penetrator Munitions
- Thermal Cascade
|2||B||LHS 3447||Larson Orbital||Fixed||512,400|
|2||B||LHS 3447||Larson Orbital||Fixed||240,400|
|1||B||LHS 3447||Larson Orbital||Fixed||72,600|
|1||B||LHS 3447||Larson Orbital||Fixed||32,175|
- This list requires expansion
- Keep in mind that Missiles do explosive damage and as such anything in the explosion area (including your own ship) will take damage.
- Seeker missiles are not affected by chaff, as they lock onto the heat signature of your target.
- Missiles currently deal an extremely limited amount of sustained hull damage to larger ships compared to weapons of comparable size, being easily outclassed in terms of DPS by other kinetic weaponry.