Missile Defence. Automatically tracks and fires upon missiles and torpedoes in range when powered.
— In-Game Description
The Point Defence Turret is defensive weapon equipment that can be mounted on the "utility mount". Once mounted, the Point Defence Turret will automatically shoot projectiles at missiles, torpedoes and mines in three round bursts for as long as it has power and ammunition. It also shoots any incoming Hatch Breaker Drones. The Point Defence Turret does need line of sight to shoot at any valid target. Due to line of sight limitations on many ships, multiple Point Defence Turrets may be needed for full coverage or alternatively, erratic corkscrewing and rolling flight paths may be used to rotate an oncoming target into the turret's line of fire.
Spent ammunition must be replenished once used. Any station equipped with a "Re-arm" service will be able to replenish ammunition. One can also replenish ammunition from the Munitions menu in the Starport Services. It has a clip size of 50 bullets and can hold 10,050 bullets in total, each bullet costing 1 CR.
|Rating||Mass (T)||Integrity||Power Draw||Armour Penetration||Thermal Load||Value (CR)|
- Damage, DPS, and Thermal Load are all based upon the in-game display which is basically an "out of 10" scale thus the values for these sections should be assumed as approximations.
- Will shoot at all missiles and mines.
- The bullets appear to be green and fire in a three round burst. However, equipping a cosmetic weapon colour kit will override the default green color.
- The Point Defence Turret requires both time and a clear line of sight to shoot down incoming targets. Missiles and Torpedoes fired at close range, at angles with limited or no line of sight, and in large enough quantities have a decent chance of not being shot down.
- Point Defense Turrets provide an important defence against Reverberating Cascade Torpedoes and Mines (Reverberating Cascade adds the effect of directly causing damage to a ships' shield generator when striking a shielded ship).